tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 19 11:03:46 2006

RE: Klingon D and Arabic Daad

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

>        Is there someone with expertise in Arabic as well as
> Klingon out there, Inshallah?

I wouldn't use the word "expertise", but I am studying Arabic.

>        I started studying Arabic last month, and was told
> that Arabic is the only language with the sound produced by
> the letter Daad, described in our book as  produced by
> placing our tongue against the bony ridge just behind
> the teeth, before the upward curve of the mouth.

My understanding is that daad and daal have the same tongue placement, which
is also the same placement that I use for an English d.  Daal and English d
are the same to me.  Daad being more forceful.

>       Our book came with a DVD, and the pronunciation of this
> Daad sounds like the D on CK and the sound on the KLI website.
>
>        Are they the same?

They are similar, but as you described, the tongue is in a slightly
different place.
In Klingon remember to bring the tip of the tongue back further.
I've heard some people say that a klingon D makes you sound like you're
talking Hindi.
Plus I think the Arabic Daad is a little more forceful.  My books describe
it as the emphatic form of daal.  The sound comes from further back.

A normal everyday person off the street, especially here in America where
most people are not multi-lingual, would most likely not be able to tell the
difference.

DloraH

Back to archive top level