tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 13 07:34:19 2006

Re: KLBC: Translating Dilbert Comic for 2006/10/12

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>ter'eS wrote:
> >> Also, you could transliterate the name, if you wanted: {Haw'orID chuS}.
> >
> > Or *{Haw'arD} or even a gutteral *{ghaw'arD} (cf. Okrand's transliteration
> > of Jean-Luc Picard as {janluq pIqarD} on SkyBox S25.

lay'tel SIvten:
>>Or {HawwaD}.

Or even a pun:  {Haw'aD} "how odd".  (Hey, it is a comic strip!)

pm5:
> >> Boss: "... keep it to yourself."
> >> pIn:  {'oHvaD yItamchoH.}

lay'tel SIvten
>>How is {-vaD} being used here?  Its literal meaning doesn't seem to apply.

pm5:
>As ter'eS pointed out, "for the sake of it (the reorg)".

Now I see.  Technically correct, but it still feels odd.  Perhaps using the
noun instead of the pronoun would have made it clearer:  e.g. {nabvaD} "for
(the benefit of) the plan".  FYI Klingon often repeats nouns where English
would typically use a pronoun.

>I can't say {'oH yItamchoH}, "silent it", so I tried to fix it.

That would be {yItammoH} "silence it (cause it to be silent)" but that
clearly doesn't work here.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons