tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 06 07:10:07 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: tlhuH (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >Klingon word:   tlhuH
> >Part of Speech: noun
> >Definition:     breath

naHQun:
>Never used in canon, as far as I have noted.

Okrand:

   Air, for example, comes into and out of the nose or mouth.
   The word for "breath" is tlhuH, and that for "breathe" is
   also {tlhuH}. (HQ 12.4:8)

Cf. also {muD} atmosphere, {SuS} wind, {SIp} gas

> >Homonyms:      tlhuH (verb) - breathe
>
>   Suvbe'chugh SuvwI' tlhuHbe' SuvwI'.
>   If a warrior does not fight, he does not breathe. [TKW]

Okrand continues:

   To breathe in, or "inhale", is {pur}; to breathe out, or
   "exhale", is {rech}. To breathe noisily, or {wheeze}, is
   {jev} ... To breathe even more noisily, or "snore", is
   {wuD}. (HQ 12.4:8)

Cf. also {Hob} yawn, {ruq} belch, {tlhov} wheeze, {chuy} sneeze

> >tlhuH (verb) - be exhilarated, stimulated, invigorated
>
>I have this labeled as slang.
>
>This word is used in such expressions as {jItlhuH} ("I am exhilarated, it's
>exhilarating to me"; literally, "I breathe"). Perhaps a near equivalent in
>standard Klingon is {Sey} ("be excited").* *KGT Klingons have always
>considered it truly invigorating to face danger. As commander Kruge said to
>Captain Kirk while the Genesis planet on which they were stranded was
>quickly falling apart, "Exhilarating, isn't it?" TKW 73; ST3

Cf. also {pIl} "be stimulated, be inspired, be motivated"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level