tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 05 23:29:45 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: tlhuH (noun)

naHQun ([email protected])

It doesn't look like anyone else replied to this one, so I'll add my two
cents.
>Klingon word:   tlhuH
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     breath
>Source: TKD (111 KE, 122 EK)
>Swedish: andedräkt, andhämtning

Never used in canon, as far as I have noted.

>Homonyms:
>       tlhuH (verb) - breathe

Suvbe'chugh SuvwI' tlhuHbe' SuvwI'. If a warrior does not fight, he does not
breathe.~I don't have the source in my notes, sorry.

>       tlhuH (verb) - be exhilarated, >stimulated, invigorated

I have this labeled as slang.

This word is used in such expressions as {jItlhuH} ("I am exhilarated, it's
exhilarating to me"; literally, "I breathe"). Perhaps a near equivalent in
standard Klingon is {Sey} ("be excited").* *KGT Klingons have always
considered it truly invigorating to face danger. As commander Kruge said to
Captain Kirk while the Genesis planet on which they were stranded was
quickly falling apart, "Exhilarating, isn't it?" TKW 73; ST3
~naHQun

--
Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in
the white of an egg?

Back to archive top level