tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 04 08:21:03 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: chach (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >>Klingon word:   chach
> >>Part of Speech: noun
> >>Definition:     emergency
> >>
> >>Additional Notes:
> >>Auxiliary, backup. Originally from {veS Qo'noS}, printed in HolQeD 1:3 p9.

Voragh:
> > Do we know this is a noun?  (Is it listed and labeled in KGT?)  Could
> it be
> > a quality?  Or a homophonous noun/verb pair?

lay'tel SIvten:
>It's listed in both directions of the TKD word list as a noun.

Thanks for checking this.  I don't have TKD or KGT with me.

>So maybe the note above about where it's originally from is wrong.

The note must mean only that the extended definition "auxiliary, backup" -
adjectives in English - was published in HolQeD (reprinted from the Klingon
fan-club magazine "veS QonoS").  I have an annotation in my own notes
following the extended definition: "part of speech uncertain, possibly noun
or adjectival verb".  It may not have been labelled in HolQeD as to part of
speech.

Certainly the ST6 example {tlham chach chu'qa'} "Restoring auxiliary
gravity" sounds like {chach} is behaving like a quality.  However this may
be due to the clipping, {tlham chach} may be an odd technical term, or I
simply mis-heard the line.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons