tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 17 12:22:36 2006

Re: Dragons and ketchup

McArdle ([email protected])

Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

>>KGT lists {Haq} as "intervene in" but in TKD {mun} is just
>>"intervene".  Do you suppose that {mun} can also take an object?
>
>Unfortunately {mun} has never been used, so we just don't know.

  That's a shame, although I rather expected it.  I just wonder whether slang is appropriate here.  The saying gets much of its effectiveness from its mock-serious tone, and I wonder if injecting a slang term wouldn't diminish that (like saying "Don't mess around in the affairs of dragons" instead of "Do not meddle" or "Meddle not").  OTOH if {mun} can't be used transitively, saying the equivalent of "Do not intervene the affairs of dragons" wouldn't improve things any.  OTGH, only Klingons and Okrand would know *for sure* that it's wrong.  Decisions, decisions.

  qavan

  mIq'ey

Sponsored Link