tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 17 10:45:58 2006

Re: Dragons and ketchup

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >For "meddle" see the slang word {Haq} "intervene in (a situation)" (KGT
> >151):
> >
> >   The slang term {Haq} developed from the association of surgery
> >   with invasion of the person, hence "intervene". Just as {Haq} in
> >   the nonslang sense of "perform surgery" has negative connotation,
> >   the slang term {Haq} ("intervene") is likewise disparaging, imply-
> >   ing that the intervention was unnecessary and/or that the party
> >   doing the intervening somehow handled the situation badly. Thus,
> >   if one were to say {jagh HIvrup SuvwI' Haqpa' DIvI' qeSwI'} ("The
> >   warrior was prepared to attack the enemy until the Federation
> >   advisor intervened"--literally, "The warrior was prepared to attack
> >   the enemy until the Federation advisor performed surgery"), the
> >   implication is that the advice was unnecessary, counterproductive,
> >   or both. The common nonslang term for "intervene" is {mun}.
>
>KGT lists {Haq} as "intervene in" but in TKD {mun} is just
>"intervene".  Do you suppose that {mun} can also take an object?

Unfortunately {mun} has never been used, so we just don't know.  Note that
Okrand's KGT example works with {mun} as it's being used intransitively:

   jagh HIvrup SuvwI' munpa' DIvI' qeSwI'
   The warrior was prepared to attack the enemy until
   the Federation advisor intervened.

but that doesn't answer your question.

--
Voragh