tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 06 08:31:24 2006

RE: A tangled knot of subordinate clauses

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

'ISqu' wrote:
> >OTOH I've lost some wordiness through being unable to directly express the
> >"you think" in "what you think I said", so this may be a wash.
>
> >>: Is there a word for "statement" or "message"
> >
> >>There is {QIn} meaning "message".
> >
> >Perfect, but where is it from?  I don't find it in TKD or in the
> >supplemental list at kli.org.  I have KGT on order; is it in there?
>
>Yes. KGT p. 65: "...the word QIn means not only "spearhead" but also
>"message."

Here it is in context:

   Finally, though not connected to weaponry, the word {QIn} means not
   only "spearhead" but also "message". In this case, it is not clear
   which came first. Perhaps the spearhead was always thought of as the
   message being delivered by the spear or spear wielder. (KGT 65)

> >  Do you suppose one can {jatlh} a {QIn}, or is some other verb better?
>
>I don't know. I believe MO once said that the appropriate objects for
>{jatlh} are the noun {Hol} and other nouns describing speech, i.e. {SoQ},
>{mu'}, {lut}, etc. In some of its senses the English word "message" fits
>this category. As for {QIn}, I'm not sure. However, if you did use it with
>{jatlh} I would not challenge you to a fight.  {{;-)

So far, the attested verbs used with {QIn} are {gher} "formulate, compile,
put together" and {qon} "record; compose":

   One might also say {QIn gher} "he/she formulates a message" or, more
   colloquially, "he/she writes a message". But now it begins to get
   tricky. Using {gher} here implies that the writer of the message was
   passing along some information he or she got elsewhere, such as scrib-
   bling down a telephone message. Saying {QIn qon} "he/she composes a
   message" or "he/she writes a message" (literally "he/she records a
   message") suggests that the writer is presenting some new information
   as opposed to merely passing something along. It may also imply that
   the written message has some sort of literary merit, and thus be a
   compliment.  [st.klingon 7/09/1998]

Finally we have a sentence fragment - in both languages - from the ST3 DVD
case:

   Qugh la'vaD QIn pav.
   [Urgent message for Commander Kruge.]

--