tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 03 08:01:54 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/24

De'vID ([email protected])

Steven Boozer wrote:
> If we can't say *{choluj} "you fail me" we *might* be able to say {jIHvaD
> bIlujpu'} using {-vaD} to mark {jIH} "me" as the "beneficiary" of your
> failing - but it still doesn't feel quite right.

The expression <jIHvaD bIluj> "you have failed for me" reminds me of one
stereotypical martial arts movie plot where the hero's
(girlfriend|sibling|friend|...) is kidnapped and the hero is forced to
lose a fight lest his (girlfriend|...) gets hurt.  The (girlfriend|...)
is rescued, of course, and tends to the crestfallen hero's wounds while
reminding him that "the only reason you lost the previous fight was
because of me".

Is <jIHvaD neH bIluj> grammatical?  The <neH> after <-vaD> looks a bit
odd, but I can't think of any grammar contravening that off the top of
me head.

--
De'vID

Back to archive top level