tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 01 12:32:16 2006

Re: Dilbert Comic in Klingon for 2006/10/25

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>pm5 wrote:
> >pIn:  {'alIS DISvam wej Qu' ta'lu'bogh Data'ta' [...]
> >Boss: "Alice, you did the work of three people this year [...]

Here I'd use {qaStaHvIS DISvam...} since you're really talking about what
she did over the course of the entire year ("while this year occurred,
during this year").

De'vID:
><wej Qu'> only says "three missions".  I suggest <wej nuv Qu'> "three
>people's missions",

That's how I would do it, but remember that Alice did *all* the
missions/tasks normally done by three people during the year, not just a
single task normally requiring three people to accomplish, so make it plural:

   wej nuv Qu'mey Data'ta'.

>or <wej nuv poQbogh Qu''e'> "mission that demands three people."
>I don't know if <poQ> can be used in this way though.

I don't either.  We have three examples of {poQ}, all with a person as the
subject:

   muSuvbogh DoS vIpoQ
   I need a target that fights back. ST5

   qab legh 'e' poQ He/she demands to see a face. KGT
   [this is a challenge to a duel]

   loHwI' vISuch 'e' vIpoQ
   I demand to see the magistrate! (ENT "Affliction")

If we avoid the "work of three people" idea, we can just say she did {Hoch
Qu'mey} "everyone's tasks".  BTW this also means "all the tasks" which
doesn't really change the Boss's point that much.

> >DIlbot: {qatlh bI<cumulonimbus>?} (3)
> >Dilbert: "What made you all cumulonimbus?"
>
>How about <qatlh 'eng tIq rurchoH jIblIj> "Why has your hair changed to
>resemble a tall cloud"?

Or avoiding the cloud image:

   qatlh pI'choH(qu') jIblIj?
   Why has your hair become (so) fat?

   qatlh SachchoH jIblIj?
   Why has your hair expanded?

If you like the cloud imagery, you can tag it onto the end as in the usual
simile:

   qatlh pI'(qu') jIblIj?  'eng'a' rur.
   Why has your hair become as fat as a big cloud?
   ("Why is your hair (so) fat?  It resembles a large cloud.")

or simpler:

   qatlh 'eng'a' rur jIblIj?
   Why does your hair resemble a big cloud?

> >'alIS: {wej vatlhvI'.} (4)
> >Alice: "3%."
>
>maj.

You could tag this with {-'e'} to indicate that Alice thinks the 3 percent
*is* the point of the conversation:

   wej vatlhvI'.
   3 percent.

   wej vatlhvI''e'!