tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 27 13:07:57 2006

Re: Slench... SuvwI'vaD ghaH?

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

Slench is not you. Slench is not me... If we get close to Slench we use chol, but if it is close to us (and it's a third person for it is not you or i) we would use Sum. Not because it is a 3rd person, but simply because it is stationary, as 3rd person is the referance. If slench (3rd person subject since it is not you or i) is stationary, but if it were to be close (Sum) then it would kill. Since it can't move, we must use Sum. Therefor, in this case since Slench is a 3rd person subject (and in this case only) the 3rd person must used the Sum simply because it is stationary. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd i am using as references because there are only 3 in this anyway. You or i, and Slench. Though really, its 1 on 1, but weather you choose 1st or second perspective is preferance. Fact is, Sum must be used with the 3rd person subject because it is stationary, now are you following? When using Sum, we are talking about slench, for he is not you or i. While we can't use chol for slench cause he is
 stationary we use either the first person (me/i) or the second person (you).
[email protected] wrote:  In a message dated 3/27/2006 6:26:26 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> in this case (since slench is primarily stationary) Sum would be for him,
> of which he *IS* the 3rd person in this case.

You're using "3rd person" again strangely. I wonder if you really understand
what the term means.

"3rd person" is whatever is talked about that is not 1st person (the speaker)
or 2nd person (the listener, person spoken to). To say someone is the 3rd
person, as if he were in a lineup, is to misunderstand what the term means,
because the 1st and 2nd persons in the lineup are also in (note the preposition)
the 3rd person, unless you or I am each one of those two first people.

lay'tel SIvten