tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 22 13:35:23 2006

Re: On a more humerous note (some may not think of this as funny),

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

I repeat, i *AM NOT* suggesting that we change the language at all. Acronyms and my other projects are mearly showing Klingon in another point of view, but the rules and words of the language remain intact.

  I'm going to use a video game to try to explain this... There is a video game for the PC called The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. I won't get into much of the game story itself... Fact is, it's played in both 1st person and 3rd person point of view, being switched by the press of a button. In both views you fight and run and such, both views you fight the same monsters with the same skills. It's like what i'm trying to do with klingon. you're only looking through one point of view. I'm trying to keep the same rules, same words, and at most add words (but only with Okrand's permission). People have differen't preferences when playing these games. People have differen't preferences when they see a language... I'm trying to have a few differen't ways to look at this language so perhaps one of these ways would speak out to the people, and through this, the language would be more "fun" due to the way you go about learning and using it, rather than only sitting in 3rd or 1st person.
 Anyone who played morrowind (or any other game like this) will tell you that playing it only in 1st person or 3rd person mode is boring. Looking at Klingon in a purely serious way limiting your fun to puns and "word origins" is like sticking yourself with first person. I'm taking a wild guess that for some of you, the language is simple now, and you already know it, but the only fun in it to you maybe these puns and such and you're only here to hope something new and fun comes along. This is natural... We need more new people, and we need more ideas to get those new people hear and new ways to enjoy using the language with those people. I'm sure if you put the credits to okrand and paramount in a game, you could legally make a game that involves the need of learning klingon to advance to the next area or get an item to go further. (but best to make it partially in english and other languages, not force klingon on them, just let them go so far to like the game and want to continue so
 they learn klingon.) Little things like that, perhaps more literature in klingon. The idea is to make it look easy and then make it wantable to learn. Don't just say "screw those who don't want to learn it because it's wierd" (not exact quote), instead make it seem less weird them.

  Now if i seemed a bit harsh above, that's just my way of getting my word about, no harm intended.
Christoph Pichlmann <[email protected]> wrote:
  If Klingon is to be taken serious, it has to be serious. If you want (IMO,
cheap) "fun", concentrate on the puns, or the in-game story of Klingon.

The language itself needs not to be "fun" or anything, because it's a set of
rules, which are to be adhered or it soon gets useless.