tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 21 18:40:27 2006

Re: On a more humerous note (some may not think of this as funny)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>I will say though, that the objective of klingon should be for us to make
>it more like other languages (with acronyms and such)

Why? That's a very Western-centric way of thinking. Only a tiny minority of
languages have acronyms: namely, those languages which are written. The vast
majority of languages on this planet aren't written on a regular basis.
Similarly, Klingon is only written in a makeshift Roman transcription
system; the only reason it's primarily a written language right now is that
we have few opportunities to speak it. What we're really doing is learning
the *spoken* language from written texts.

>so we don't convey (sp?)  such a serious apperence to the language...

The majority of people in the street already do not take the Klingon
language seriously. One could argue that it's only through our being so
serious about the language that Klingon has managed to grow as far as it
has. We treat Klingon like we would any other language. If we weren't so
serious about it, those who *were* interested in learning it as a language
would be quickly turned off it. The only way to garner respect for the
language is to treat it seriously. Any other approach will devalue Klingon
in the eyes of those who don't speak it.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Shopping made easy @ tradingpost.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Freferrer%3DnmsnHMetagv1&_t=753082530&_r=emailtagline&_m=EXT