tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 18 16:52:57 2006

verb suffixes on pronouns, as found in canon

In a message dated 3/18/2006 2:23:47 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I have never seen any canon that attached -vIp to a pronoun but that is an
> interesting thought, since there is definitely prescedent for putting verb
> suffixes on pronouns, but since that is only done when using the pronoun as
> a form of 'to be'  and -vIp is usually interpereted as I am afraid to-  I
> think that jIHvIp might be translated as "I am afraid to be" rather than "I
> am afraid"  That might be an interesting way of expressing what you want to
> say, though.  I don't think I'm qualified to say whether this theory is way
> off base, but if we assume for the sake of argument that jIHvIp is a
> gramatical exprssion of general fear, then you could say, for example "I am
> afraid of my mother" with SoSwI'mo' jIHvIp.
>
> Elizabeth

Here are all the examples of verb suffixes on pronouns that I could find in
canon.

1. card S27 pa' 'oHtaH vaS'a' 'e' [sic: vaS'a''e'].     This is where the
Klingon Great Hall is located, ...
2. card S99
loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq
Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH.
HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH
lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.
vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'.
veH Qav 'oH logh'e'.

It waits...on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to
unknown regions of the universe, space station Deep Space
Nine is the gateway for the exploration, intrigue and
enterprise that mark the continuation of the human adventure
into space--the final frontier.
3. FTG  tajwIj 'oHbe' chorlIj jeqbogh Dochvetlh'e'=["That is not my dagger
protruding from your midsection."] | lit. That thing which protrudes from your
belly is not my knife.
4. movie ST5(TFF), HQ199912     Duj-Hom-Daq ghaH-taH    He's on the
shuttlecraft! HQ v8n4p12 (referring to ST5: Scene 127)
5. HQ199912     loD-Hom jIH-DI' qIrq qun vI-qIm-choH.   I've followed his
history since I was a boy.  HQ v8n4p12 (referring to ST5: Scene 64
6. KGT p24  {#bIghha'Daq ghata qama'#}  The prisoner is in the prison.
{Morskan dialect}
7. KGT p24  {bIghHa'Daq ghaHtaH qama''e'.}  The prisoner is in the prison.

8. KGT p121,122 {bIQ'a'Daq 'oHtaH 'etlh'e'.}    The sword is in the ocean. |
"mean that something has ended, that it is impossible to return to a prior
condition" | "there is no going back" | (idiom)
9. tape CK  [hf] "Are you a Klingon?"[mo] {tlhIngan SoH'a'.}
10. tape CK [kf] "Are you a Terran?"[mo] {tera'ngan SoH'a'.}
11. tape CK [md] "I am not a Klingon."[mo] {tlhIngan jIHbe'.}
12. tape PK [hm] "Here they are. Two thousand credits. Hurry up!" = [mo]
{naDev bIHtaH. cha'SaD DeQ. tugh.}
13. TKD p27 {pa'Daq jIHtaH} I'm in the room.
14. TKD p68 {pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH}  I am in my quarters.
15. TKD p68 {pa'DajDaq ghaHtaH la''e'}  The commander is in his quarters.|As
for the commander, he is in his quarters.
16. TKD p57,172 {jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'} I'm lost. [lit.: I don't know the
here which (where) I am (being).]
17. TKD p65,172 {pa' jIHpu'be'} I wasn't there.
18. TKW p206    I am not a merry man. = loD Quch jIHbe'.
19. NewWord    meyrI'Daq 'oHtaH gho'e'     The circle is in the square.
[qep'a' 2005]

There are six different combinations of suffixes used in the citations above.
 There are four suffixes that are used alone with the pronouns and two
occurrences of a pronoun with multiple suffixes.

The four suffixes that occur singly on the pronoun are: type 7: {-taH}, type
9: {-DI'} and {-'a'}, and rover: {-be'}.
By far the most common of these is the suffix {-taH}, which occurs in 11 of
the citations: 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19.  Number 6 is the Morskan
version of number 7.
{-be'} occurs three times:  3, 11, 18.
{-'a'} occurs twice:  9, 10.
{-DI'} occurs only once:  5.

The occurrences of multiple suffixes on pronouns-as-verbs are:
{-taHbogh}:  16
{-pu'be'}:  17

The first of these two instances has suffixes of types 7 and 9, and the
second has suffixes of types 7 and rover.

Thus the only types of verb suffixes attested to in canon are types 7, 9, and
rover.
{-vIp} is a type-2 suffix.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level