tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 08 11:53:41 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: ghoch (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >> This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, February 24, 2006.
> >>
> >> Klingon word:   ghoch
> >> Part of Speech: noun
> >> Definition:     destination

Voragh:
> > Never used in canon.

ghunchu'wI':
>It was at least alluded to in STV.  The guy at the Morskan outpost
>says what sounds like {nuq DaghoS, rIn}.  Scott searches through the
>bulky paper reference and declares the meaning to be "What is your
>destination?"  He probably misheard {ghoS} as {ghoch}, and failed to
>comprehend the distinction between the verb "track down" and the noun
>"destination". :)

Very inventive.  The closed captions have Kesla saying <nugDaq ghoS?
rIn.>  The ST6 novelization (based on an early version of the script) has:

   "Whither are you bound?" (responding in the same dialect).

both of which fit a clipped {nuqDaq bIghoS} or {nuqDaq DaghoS} -- "Where
bound?" or "Bound where?"  (Do you need the object prefix with
{nuqDaq}?)  Or maybe Morskan dialect doesn't use the verb prefixes as often
as {ta' Hol}?

I always liked that scene of Scotty madly flipping through his Klingon
Dictionary, which I felt was Paramount's jab at - or "homage" to if you
prefer! - the Klingonist fan community madly flipping through their TKDs at
conventions.  The scene is doubly ironic considering James Doohan's role in
creating the nucleus of tlhIngan Hol in "ST: The Motion Picture".

(IIRC the novel explains that they had to resort to the old-fashioned paper
version because the ship's universal translator and linguistic files in the
library computer had been sabotaged by Valeris as part of the anti-Gorkon
conspiracy.  That line didn't make it to the final cut.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level