tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 10 08:49:07 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: wamwI' (noun)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, July 8, 2006.
>
>Klingon word:   wamwI'
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     hunter

Used in canon:

   QotDI' gheD tlhejbe' wamwI'
   The hunter does not lie down with the prey. TKW

   vagh SanID ben buDbe' wamwI'pu'. ngugh Ho'Du'chaj lo' chaH,
    'ach DaH tajmey lo'.
   5,000 years ago, hunters were not lazy. Then (at that time)
    they used their teeth, but now they use knives. (st.k 11/99)

Cultural notes:

   Animals to be eaten are generally acquired by means of a hunt
   ({chon}; the verb "hunt" is {wam}). (KGT 89)

   A song sung while going to, or returning from, a hunt is a {chon
   bom}, or "hunt song". (KGT 77)

   Being hunters by nature and primarily carnivorous, Klingons
   have an extensive vocabulary for different parts of an animal,
   and the terminology is widespread.  (KGT 27)

   In some restaurants, the menu ({HIDjolev}) is posted (seldom
   are individual copies available), but in most, the patrons know
   the regular fare and ask about specials, including the {DaHjaj
   gheD} (literally, "today's prey"), a dish whose components
   depend on what animals the restaurant's hunters were able to
   bring in.  (KGT 100f.)

   (...) if [the meat] is fresh, the "cook" may {pID} it, which
   involves coating it with herbed granulated cartilage (not
   necessarily from the same animal) mixed with some kind of {tIr}
   (grain) and doing very little else. The name of the granulated
   cartilage is {ngat}, which has also come to mean "gunpowder."
   Meat prepared in this way is sometimes described as {wamwI'
   Ha'DIbaH} ("hunter's meat"), but the specific animal name is
   usually used instead of the word {Ha'DIbaH} ("meat"); for example,
   {wamwI' mIl'oD} ("hunter's sabre bear").  (KGT 89f)

I've seen *{wamwI'ghom} used for "hunting party" (on the model of
{tIjwI'ghom} "boarding party").

{wam} "hunt" in canon:

   veng chanDaq jIwam
   I hunt east of the city. (st.k 11/99)

   chan vengDaq jIwam
   I hunt in the city in the east. (st.k 11/99)

   'evmajDaq jIwampu'
   I have hunted northwest of here. (st.k 11/99)

   wam chaH.  ghIq Soj luvut.
   They hunt. Then (after that) they prepare food.(HQ 8.3)

   wam chaH 'ej ghIq Soj luvut.
   They hunt and then they prepare food. (HQ 8.3)

A related verb is {ghoch} "track, track down".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level