tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 30 14:57:24 2006

Re: Klingon phonotactics (was Re: Klingon at the Thanksgiving table - A month la

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlh HomDoq, ja':
>not that it matters much for the point under discussion, but IMO
>the following two analyses by QeS 'utlh are somewhat simplified

jIja'pu':
>there are two possibilities.
>The "Clusterian" analysis:
>1) Generic syllable structure in Klingon is C1V(C2).
>2) If C2 is {w} or {y}, it may be followed by {'}.

mujang HomDoq:
>in 2) you left out the case that if C2 is {r} it may be followed by {gh}

Yes, I did that on purpose, because it's irrelevant to the topic. I had
intended to say that explicitly, but must missed putting that bit in. HIvqa'
veqlargh!

ja'taH:
>but more importantly you left out that we are explicitly told (IIRC) that
>the vowels {o} and {u} are never followed by {w} (and thus {w'})

This is also true. That part I *had* completely forgotten to put in. That
would complicate this analysis somewhat.

(poD)

>if it weren't for the case of "monophthongs" may be followed by {rgh},
>the second analysis would seem simpler to me
>as it is, I think neither is simpler in terms of rules, but the first is
>simpler in terms of "elements", i.e. you only need to define consonants
>and vowels, no need to devide vowels into monophthongs and
>diphthongs

That's what I meant. Also, you're spot-on when you say that "simple vowels"
may be followed by {-rgh}. That would be another reason for needing to
postulate a fundamental split between simple vowels and diphthongs in that
analysis. (Unless the old diphthongs have been simplified to pure vowels
when followed by {-rgh}, and judging by the fact that the most common vowel
to appear with {-rgh} is {a}, I seriously doubt that's the case.)

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

ASUS M5 Ultra-slim lightweight is Now $1999 (was $2,999)
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Easus%2Ecom%2Eau%2F&_t=752129232&_r=Hotmail_tagline_23Nov05&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level