tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 25 07:32:32 2006

Re: Philosophical translation

Florian Ferrand ([email protected])

> What is your deadline for this?

Terrence,

The event and conference will take place from the 25th of March to the 26th.
I would need to prepare myself and the slides so that would be a deadline by
mid-March.

> This is quite a bit of work.  What does the job pay?

Steven,

You already guess my answer, which will be lengthy for a simple conclusion:
zilch. This is a non-professional, non-academic student conference and is
rather an event for making philosophy more interesting and open. All
participants, including profs and professionals are doing that for the sake
of it and unpaid.

I know this is quite a bit of work (at least because I do some of the
translations myself!) without much gratification, especially if you can't
come to the conference and laugh at my futile efforts. If that seems too
long, by all means use the shorter, simpler version and/or simplify as you
see fit...

Just for the curious out there, here are two excerpt. I let you guess the
language.

Natuurlijk, hoe kunnen wij wensen om iets op te geven... Om precies te zijn,
hoe zijn wij zover gekomen? Hoe komt het dat de mens zo behept is met zo'n
last

Fa nahoana isika no mihaino ny feon'ny fieritreretana? Fa nahoana no mahare
marary sy matahotra ary mialona? Moa tsy tsara raha manatsò-piainana sy tsy
miraharaha izay ataontsika ve isika? Hevero ary fa azo atao ireo, moa ve
ilaina tokoa? Angamba hoy aho hoe tsia.

Back to archive top level