tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 24 14:27:51 2006

Re: (KLBC) How does one express feelings...?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Shane:
> > I don't now about yu guys, but i don't see anywhere a listing of
> expressions
> > I do know a few excelerators, but how does one go about saying "darn!"?
> > How does one go about expressing strong satisfaction..? Like, "yes!"? Now
> > it'd probably not be HIja' or anything literal compared to english, but
> what
> > would it be..?

The word you want is the standard {maj}:

   The Klingon word {maj} is an exclamation expressing satisfaction,
   generally translated as simply "good", and functioning as a sentence
   in its own right. (KGT 120)

or the slang terms {qu'} and {chong}:

   The word {qu'} may also be used as an exclamation ("Great! Wonderful!").
   In this sense, it seems to be interchangeable with {chong} (literally,
   "be vertical" [...] Nonslang verbs expressing similar ideas are ...
   an exclamation, {maj!} ("Good!").  (KGT 159-61) "

N.B. do not confuse these with the quality {QaQ} "be good".  {QaQ} by
itself is a statement meaning either "it/he/she is good" or "they are good"
and not an exclamation of "strong satisfaction".

> >           Also, i havn't seen a listing anywhere of what the curses
> mean...
> > I mean, what if we are to use the curses, wrong? They may be curses, but
> > knowing them could indeed add to one's knowledge of the language. I'm
> guessing
> > some curses are verbs, shortened sentances, adj, and, of course, nouns.
> We all
> > know how to insult, but i personally myself would like to know what p'taQ
> > means. lol pardon my cussing if it isn't appropriate here.

Cursing, if done in Klingon, is always appropriate.  <g>  If you're really
curious about this vital aspect of Klingon culture, see my page "Voragh's
Notes on Klingon Cursing" at

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8853/curse.html

Note that this was just an informal list I sent to Glen Proechel's _qIb
HeHDaq_ newsletter some ten years ago and was later put online in
1997.  This is an unedited, mishmash of comments, canon and theory on the
various curses we knew of *at that time*.  This was intended for the
Klingon fan to know which curse was most appropriate for the given
situation and so I gave quite a few references to the episodes.

As the Klingons say, {pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach} (Curse well!), which
literally means "Shoot curses forcefully!" since

   Curses are considered a weapon of a sort which must be
   propelled to their targets. (TKW 148)

Qapla'!

--
Voragh