tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 22 17:16:16 2006

Re: yopwaH

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>They are either plural or singular for a reson.

As I said, if you can tell us what that reason is, then we *might* (but
then, we might not) have a basis for saying that {yopwaH} is plural.

>If a *PAIR* of pants were a singular entity, then so would the klingon
>version.

Again, Klingon is not a code for English, so there's no reason why the
grammar of Klingon words needs to map to that of English words. A pair of
pants *is* a singular entity. I don't think anyone would argue that a pair
of pants is actually somehow two articles of clothing.

>It's hard to explain this, but... While looking it up, i realize that some
>other languages have it as "pant",

Most others, in fact. The other languages I can think of the word "pants" in
(French, Turkish and Ubykh) all treat it as grammatically singular.

>So, really, we would have to talk about okrand about this, cause he's the
>one that made the word, and only he can tell us weather it's plural or
>singular
>in klingon.

That's true, but in the meantime we can make a reasonable guess based upon
Klingon canon (which is what we often must do in the absence of any other
evidence). In Klingon, there's not one attested instance of a noun that is
treated as grammatically plural although it's semantically singular. In
fact, the opposite situation is the one we find: semantically plural nouns
such as {ngop} "plates" are treated as grammatically singular, not plural.
For this reason, I still think that {yopwaH} is not a grammatically (or
semantically) plural noun, and that {yopwaHDaj 'oH yopwaHvam'e'} "these
pants are his pants" is the correct form, not *{yopwaHDaj bIH yopwaHvam'e'}.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Buy now @ Tradingpost.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Eau%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fclk%3B24875379%3B12369854%3Ba%3Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%3Freferrer%3DnmsnHMetagv1&_t=752643439&_r=hotmailtagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level