tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 12 14:54:52 2006

Re: easy question

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> > I don't think Okrand has ever used a number with one of those nouns with a
> > different plural form, but I would opt for {loS mangpu'} if the actual
> > number is important, particularly if it's a relatively low number.

lay'tel SIvten:
>cha' chovnatlhHeyvam vISamta':
>
>   {wa' DoS wIqIp}
>   We hit one target | We agree  [
>   KGT 105,106]
>
>   {cha' DoSmey DIqIp}
>   We hit two targets | We disagree
>   [KGT 106]

I stand corrected.

Has he ever used a number with the inherently plural form of these
nouns?  My guess - and I've been wrong before! - would probably be
no.  These feel like collective or mass nouns to me (e.g. a bunch of
soldiers {negh} [if they're shooting at you, who cares how many there
are?], a clump of targets {ray'} [i.e. too many to count], a pile of plates
{ngop} [just grab one and dig in], etc.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level