tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 27 07:23:40 2006

Re: {ghung} and {'oj} as stative verbs?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

At 03:29 AM Monday 2/27/2006, Philip Newton wrote:
> > {ghung} and {'oj} appear to be intransitive verbs.

lay'tel SIvten:
>Since {ghung} is 'be hungry' and {'oj} is 'be thirsty', I don't think there
>is any doubt about it.  They are stative verbs and can be used adjectivally.

{ghung} in canon:

   jIghung
   I'm hungry. CK & PK

   wa'Hu' jIghung
   Yesterday I was hungry. CK

   jIghungqu'
   I am very hungry.

   jIghung je
   I am also hungry. PK

   ghung; qagh rur
   hungry as gagh. KGT

   SoSoy jIghung
   Mommy, I'm hungry. KGT

   qagh largh SuvwI' ghung.  Sum qagh 'e' Sov.
   The hungry warrior smells the gagh. He/she knows the gagh is nearby. (HQ
12/1998)

   SuvwI' ghung law' qagh ghung rap
   the warrior is as hungry as gagh (HQ 13.1:10)

{'oj} in canon:

   ma'oj
   We're thirsty. CK

   DaHjaj jI'oj
   Today I am thirsty. CK

   jI'oj
   I am thirsty. PK

   jI'oj je
   I am also thirsty. PK

   'oj; bomwI' rur
   thirsty as a singer (KGT 129-30)

> > What I'm wondering is whether they can be stative verbs and, hence,
> > can be used like adjectives -- after all, they do describe a state. So
> > I'm wondering whether {SuvwI' ghung} would be grammatically correct
> > and would mean "the hungry warrior". Or {'Iwghargh 'oj Sop tlhIngan
> > ghung} for "the hungry Klingon eats the thirsty bloodworm".

Absolutely.  Although most of our examples are variants of "I am
hungry/thirsty", look again at the example from HolQeD 12/1998 for the very