tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 07 06:14:53 2005

RE: Klingon WOTD: chaQ (verb)

DloraH ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> >HQ 2 is one of the issues I don't have, so I can't check this, but
> >shouldn't {-Ha'} precede {-moH}?
>
> I also lack this issue, so I can't confirm or deny this
> example; but in most cases, yes.

That would be on page 17 of that HolQeD.

     3. *ear* -- Actually, there are two words for "ear":

     {qogh} refers to the flap of skin or cartilage or whatever it is that
sticks out
     on either side of the head.

     {teS} refers to the organ of hearing, inside the head.

     {qogh} "ear," of course is homophonous with {qogh}, "belt." When used
     in context, there is seldom confusion; less so when the plural is used
     ({qoghDu'} can only be "ears" while {qoghmey} generally means "belts").
     This homophony explains why the Klingon slang expression {qogh
     tuQmoHHa'}, literally "take off one's belt" is used to mean "to not
hear,"
     for example, {qogh vItuQmoHHa'pu'} "I've taken off my belt; your secret
     is safe with me."
<<<

DloraH

Back to archive top level