tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 25 14:29:16 2004

Re: nuq rur mu'tlheghvam

Voragh:
>> >... 'ej vulqanganpu'vaD latlh tu'lu' je:
>> >
>> >    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam soffodiant
>> >    "May faulty logic undermine your entire philosophy"
>> >
>> >mu'qaDvam mughlaH'a' vay'?

De'vID:
>A first attempt:
><bImeqHa'qu'mo' paQDI'norghlIj Qaw'lu'jaj>

mughmeH Qatlh'a'?  <g>

>However, <paQDI'norgh> "teachings" is not quite the
>same as "philosophy".

Some people have used *{SovQeD} for "philosophy", but this is more
appropriate for philosophy as an object of study rather than a personal
belief system.  One could also use {lalDan} "religion" which does have the
benefit of being a comprehensive belief system, but adds a supernatural
element absent from the original.  Hmm... maybe just {Hoch ghobmeylIj} "all
your ethics/virtues"?.

>Also, some alternatives for "undermine":
>   <Sang> obliterate
>   <pej> demolish
>   <puy> wreck
>   <QIH> damage, cause damage

lay'tel SIvten
>>><undermine> 'oSmeH *QutlhHa'* vIparHa'.

"mis-support" - not bad.

Let's put this together:

   Hoch ghobmeylIj QutlhHa'jaj meq ngeb.
   May false reason (logic?) undermine all your ethics.

   bImeqHa'mo' Hoch ghobmeylIj luQutlhHa'lu'jaj.
   Because you mis-reason, may all your ethics be undermined.

Just playing now... we could turn it to - what else? - honor, by using the
honor vocabulary from HolQeD 12.3.  E.g. {QaqmoH} "cause to behave in a
falsely honorable manner" (v.), with the example:

   muQaqmoHta' veqlargh
   Fek'lhr made me behave in a falsely honorable manner (HQ 12.3)

So, using {meq ngeb} "false reason (logic?):

   DuQaqmoHjaj meq ngeb.
   May false reason make-you-behave-in-a-falsely-honorable-manner.

In the case of a Klingon insulting a Vulcan, we could turn it around with
the noun {DavHam} "false honor":

   DumeqHa'jaj DavHamlIj.
   May your false honor cause you to mis-reason.

And for a more Vulcan curse:

   DumeqHa'jaj meq ngeb.
   May false reason cause you to mis-reason.

I wonder... can reason/logic be faulty (i.e. malfunction)?  If so, then:

   DumeqHa'jaj QapHa'bogh meqlIj.
   May your faulty (malfunctioning) reason cause you to mis-reason.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level