tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 18 13:03:19 2004

Re: CYA

naHQun:
> > At work we have a saying that we use a lot:
> > CYA, cover your ass.
> >
> > It has to do with making sure that you've done everything
> > in your power to make sure that you're prepared for the worst.
> > i.e. getting it in writing.

lay'tel:
>I think I encounter the expression more frequently in the meaning of doing
>whatever it takes to keep from being blamed when something goes wrong.
>
>{vIta'pu'be'}

One can, of course, translate this fairly literally as:

   Sa'HutlIj yIQan.
   Protect your ass!

or more genteelly as

   DublIj yI'av!
   Guard your back!

Both of these are self-explanatory metaphors.

If you want a more Klingon take, we could turn to the imagery of a bat'leth
match.  We have the verb {way'} "parry, deflect a lunge" and {mong'em}
"*mong'em* maneuver" appears in the glossary to Keith R.A. DeCandido's
pro-novel _Diplomatic Implausibility_ (for which Okrand vetted some of the
Klingon):  "A parry where you thrust a sword or other edged weapon behind
[{'em}] your neck [{mong}] in order to block an attack from the rear."  I'm
not sure how to use these together.

   ?mong'em lo'taHvIS reH yIway'rup.
    Always be ready to parry using the *mong'em* maneuver"!

seem a bit wordy.  Perhaps just:

   ?reH mong'em yIlo'rup.
    Always be ready to use the *mong'em* maneuver"!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level