tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 09 01:24:58 2004

Re: doubt (Re: tu'HomI'raH - canon source?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>But you had said that uncertainty had nothing to do with doubt.

ghobe', not mu'tlheghvetlh vIjatlh. jIjatlh:
No, I never said that. I said:

>No, just uncertainty or seeming - there doesn't have to be any element of
>doubting involved.

What I meant was that just because {-law'} implies uncertainty, that doesn't
mean that it implies doubt also. Doubt implies uncertainty, but uncertainty
need not imply doubt. That's my point.

ghItlhtaH:
>Doubt always has some uncertainty, otherwise it's not doubt.
>Only the first and last statements express certainty; the middle three all
>have some degree of uncertainty.

jIghoHbe'. maQochbe'qu'chu'.

>The overtone you mention may not be part of Klingon (although given the
>native language background of most of the speakers of Klingon, it probably
>is).

The implication of "I doubt that you speak Klingon" isn't always there in
English, either. As always, it can be context-dependent, in both Klingon and
English:

A: {tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaHbej} "I can definitely speak Klingon!"
B: {tlhIngan Hol DajatlhlaHbej 'e' vIHon} "I doubt that you can definitely
speak Klingon."

In this situation, the only natural thing would be for speaker A to prove
that he can, in fact, definitely speak Klingon, whether Klingon or English
is the discourse language. A's natural response would be along the lines of
{vIjatlhlaHqu'bej! yIQoy:} "I definitely *can* speak Klingon! Listen:"
unless, of course, he can't speak Klingon, in which case he's not worth
bothering with. {{:)

Savan.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Click here for the latest chart ringtones:
http://ringtones.com.au/ninemsn/control?page=/ninemsn/main.jsp

Back to archive top level