tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 07 15:38:41 2004

Re: tu'HomI'raH - canon source?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh:
>"apparently" is {-law'}:  {jIleghlaHbe'law'}.

jangpu' Christoph:
>Indeed. But it lacks the ironic. {-law'} expresses doubt.

No, just uncertainty or seeming - there doesn't have to be any element of
doubting involved: {nuSeHlaw'} "they seem to be controlling us". I have no
problem with {jIleghlaHbe'law'} with the meaning that you're looking for:
"it would seem that I am blind".

>I have no doubt that I am NOT blind.

Then why say that you are in English? {{:) Irony is definitely a part of
Klingon language (cf. the proverb {nong; vulqangan rur} "as passionate as a
Vulcan"), so if the person you're talking to knows that you're not actually
blind, they'll understand your meaning.

>I guess I should stop trying to be ironic in klingon until I get a
>better(or any at all) grasp of the language.

Irony is clearly a Klingon concept, so why not use it? The only way you'll
get better is practice. Don't let one error put you off. If you get it
wrong, it's a learning experience.

Savan.

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

In the market for a car? Buy, sell or browse at CarPoint:
http://server-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/b?cg=link&ci=ninemsn&tu=http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au?refid=hotmail_tagline

Back to archive top level