tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 02 23:32:10 2004

direct speech

CK:
He said: »Last call.«
{»'eb Qav« jatlhpu'.}
PK:
A prisoner says to the guard: "I am hungry."
{'avwI'vaD jatlh qama'; "jIghung."}

The prisoner says: "I am thirsty."
{jatlh qama'; "jI'oj."}

The prisoner says: "I am very tired."
{jatlh qama'; "jIDoy'qu'."}

The guard says: "I am *not* tired."
{jatlh 'avwI'; "jIDoy'be'."}

MSN 970629:
        tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh "you speak Klingon"
        SoQ Dajatlh "you speak an address" or, more colloquially, "you
deliver an address" or "you make a speech"
        jatlh "he/she speaks" implies "he/she speaks it," where "it" is a
language or a lecture or whatever.
        qama'pu'vaD tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh "you speak Klingon to the prisoners"
        qama'pu'vaD SoQ Dajatlh "you make a speech to the prisoners"
qajatlh means "I speak to you" or, more literally, perhaps "I speak it to
you," where "it" is a language or a speech or whatever:
        qajatlh "I speak to you"
        Sajatlh "I speak to you [plural]"
        chojatlh "you speak to me"
        tlhIngan Hol qajatlh "I speak Klingon to you"
        tlhIngan jIH jatlh "he/she says, 'I am a Klingon'"
        jatlh tlhIngan jIH "he/she says, 'I am a Klingon'"
        tlhIngan jIH jIjatlh "I say, 'I am a Klingon'"
        tlhIngan jIH bIjatlh "you say, 'I am a Klingon'"
        tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh "you speak Klingon"
        tlhIngan Hol bIjatlh "you say, 'Klingon language'" [that is "you say
the phrase 'Klingon language'"]
(emphasis added)

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level