tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 02 09:30:58 2004

Re: KLBC: (?) interrogative suffix on imperatives?

Lieven L. Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

ghItlh Voragh:

> This can, of course, be translated literally:
> HurDaq targh bItlhap'a'?

prefix: HurDaq targh Datlhap'a'?

This question sometimes confuses me (in german, or english) because I'm not
sure if it's a question or a command. Some people get angry then :-)

A canon example I remember that starts with "Will you..." is
   "Will you read my manuscript?"
   {ghItlhwIj DalaD'a'}

But that is only a question to me, not a command.

> HurDaq targh yItlhap, Ha'!
> Take the targ out now!  Okay?

I've always known this expression as "let's go", from TKD:

<<<<<<<<<<<<
These expressions stand as sentences in their own right.
    {Ha'} "Let's go! Come on!"

When I hear
   {HurDaq targh yItlhap, Ha'!}
I understand the message that "we both go, and you take the targ."

> If {Ha'} isn't appropriate, a firm and menacing {DaH} is always
> effective:
>
> DaH HurDaq targh yItlhap!
> Take the targ out now!

What is the effective thing here is the command. Klingons don't ask you,
they order you.

We have canon:
   {HurDaq tu'HomI'raHvetlh yIlan!}
   "Get that piece of junk out of here!"

BTW {HurDaq targh yItlhap} makes me think that I should take the targ which
is outside.

To get back to the initial question:
There is no way to translate "do this, will you?" literally, because it's a
typical terran redundant expression. Klingons give clear commands.

{yItlhap jay'}
{yItlhapqu'}
{DaH yItlhap}
{nom yItlhap}