tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 28 04:49:34 2004

TKD phrase: {-meH} clause

{Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH}
How much do you want for that?
[lit.: How much money do you want in order to pay for that thing?]
[TKD p.171] phrase #56
Taking another look at this phrase I wonder if it's as ambiguous in Klingon
as in English.  It seems like something a father might ask his son when the boy
asks him to let him buy something.
In other words, the listener is the payer, which is definitely not the intent
here.

Now I would say {Dochvetlh vIDIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH}, adding {vI-} "I" as the
explicit subject of {DIlmeH}.  Is context so strong in the paying scenario
that this sort of explicitness is unnecessary?

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level