tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 27 07:01:59 2004

Re: *nuqDaqvo'

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:

>If {nuqDaq} were a noun without a suffix, then adding {-vo'} would present
>no problem, just as {QongDaqDaq} presents no problem.  But {QongDaq} and
>{nuqDaq} are not comparable.  {QongDaq} is a noun (apparently a compound
>noun with the second element meaning 'site, location')

My guess is that it might be a shortening of an older {QongmeH Daq} "place
for sleeping", or perhaps even a noun-noun construction of a {no' Hol} noun
*{Qong} "sleep" and {Daq} "site". Just guesses though, and I'd be interested
to see what other people think.

>It seems like a lot of people want {nuqDaqvo'} to be correct.

I still can't understand why {nuqvo'} is much of a problem to translate
"from where". As with question words generally, {nuq} fits in the place in
the sentence where its answer is expected to go. There's no special
distinction between things and places in Klingon:

{nuqvo' bIlengpu'}  >  {Qo'noSvo' jIlengpu'}
"Where have you journeyed from?" (literally "From what?") - "I have
journeyed from Kronos."

{nuqvo' joHma' Dalegh}  >  {pa'vo' joHma' vIlegh}
"From where will you see our lord?" - "I will see our lord from the room"
(or "from over there").

Savan.

QeS lagh

Play Love Hunt to win a $9000 holiday and find love!
http://mobilecentral.ninemsn.com.au/mclovehunt/lovehunt.aspx

Back to archive top level