tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 24 17:47:35 2004

Re: Coke Shirt

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>So how DO we say "where from?"? Just {nuqvo'}?

jangpu' SuSvaj:
>*nuqvo'* would mean "from what?" not "From where?"

I don't think the distinction makes a difference. As lay'SIv has pointed
out, {nuqDaq} actually means "at what?" or "to what?" In this vein, {nuqvo'}
"from what?" is a suitable translation of "from where?": {nuqvo' bIlengpu'}
"where have you journeyed from?"

But as SuStel has also shown, you'd just say {nuqDaq} if you're not talking
about anything actually moving anywhere:

{nuqDaq qoq yIvbeH vISuqlaH}
"At what (= where) can I get a Coke shirt?"

I think the use of {-vo'} in this case is an English thing to do; you're
actually acquiring the shirt AT a certain location (a shop), rather than
acquiring it FROM a certain location (except insofar as you're taking the
shirt away after having purchased it).

QeS lagh

Play Love Hunt to win a $9000 holiday and find love!
http://mobilecentral.ninemsn.com.au/mclovehunt/lovehunt.aspx

Back to archive top level