tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 23 18:51:16 2004

KLBC: S99

Here is the text of SkyBox S99 and my literal translation of it, and then my
comments and questions.
QU'
loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq
Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH.
HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH
lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.
vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'.
veH Qav 'oH logh'e'.

The Mission
Space.  At the edge of the galaxy, in regions of the universe -
(it) which one does not know; a course for one to travel
which one approaches; it is (being) nearby.
Far space nine space station acts as a gate for one to study, conspire,
gamble.
Then humans can be traveling in space.
Space (, it) is the final boundary.

In the first three lines there is only one period, at the end, so at first
glance it seems to be only one sentence.

What is the head noun that {Sovbe'lu'bogh} refers to?  {-lu} indicates that
it has no subject; it also has no explicit object, since there are no nouns
preceding it which can be an object and there is no overt prefix indicating an
object.  The object could be "it".

What is the role of {lenglu'meH He}?  It looks like it can only be the object
of {ghoSlu'bogh}.  Does {lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh} make sense?

{retlhDaq} has to come at the beginning of a clause, since it is an
adverbial.

Thus the one apparent sentence is in fact three distinct sentences,
grammatically unconnected.  I used semicolons to separate them above.

Since the card has no English translation, does anyone have the original text
that this is a translation of?

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level