tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 22 18:32:07 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: qeD (v)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SuSvaj:

>Let's stick to the TKD definitions and try not to insert our own
>assumptions here.

We can't depend on TKD definitions for everything. If the definition was
clear to me, I wouldn't have needed to ask. :)

>It says in the dictionary that "qI'" means "sign."  If you look up "sign"
>you get "qI'" not "ghItlh."

It says in the dictionary that {qI'} means "sign (a treaty)". My assumption
was based on the brackets at the end of the definition; I wanted to know
exactly how generally the Klingon verb applied. For instance, {ghor} means
"surface (of a planet)"; we've come to the conclusion that likely not all
spheres have a {ghor}, only astronomical bodies. In the same way, I wanted
to know what people understood to be the limits of "sign (a treaty)", and it
seems that most agree with you.

>"ghItlh" is a far more general word.  It can be used for "write" or
>"marking."

qayaj. All I was saying was that {ghItlh} covers the same action. You can
describe the action of signing a treaty with {ghItlh}. You just don't get
the added implications of becoming affected or legally bound by that treaty;
that's the point I was making.

That being said, now that I've heard a number of opinions, it seems that
{qI'} is understood by most to indicate the action of signing in general: a
cheque, an autograph, a treaty... Satlho'qu'.

Savan.

QeS lagh

Protect your inbox from harmful viruses with new ninemsn Premium. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp?banner=emailtag&referrer=hotmail

Back to archive top level