tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 21 08:33:09 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: val (v)

>From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>{val} *might* be an element in the Klingon female names Valkris {valQIS}
>and Valeris.
>
>Before anyone complains that in ST6 Valeris was a Vulcan, J.M. Dillard's
>ST6 novelization explains that her mother T'Paal named her Valeris after
>one of the honored female heroes of the Klingons as a sign of good
>will.  Her parents had both served in the Vulcan Diplomatic Corps and had
>been stationed on Zorakis, a planet bordering on Klingon
>space.  Unfortunately, it didn't work; Zorakis became the site of a
>massacre by Klingon "renegades" several months before the Organian Peace
>Treaty, when T'Paal was killed while making unofficial peace overtures to
>the Klingons.  Afterwards, her father Sessl began to go mad and encouraged
>young Valeris' very un-Vulcan hatred of the Klingons.  Thus her involvement
>in the plot to assassinate Chancellor Gorkon and his daughter Azetbur.
>
>(OK, so it's semi-canonical!  At the time ST6 was released, there were no
>official Vulcan names beginning with /V/ so Dillard's explanation made
>sense within the context of the movie - "Hey! Why doesn't her name begin
>with /T'P.../?" - and may even have been suggested in the early version of
>the script that she based her novelization on.  Since then, we've met or
>heard of one female (Ambassador V'Lar [ENT "Shadows of P'Jem"]), and four
>males (Ensign Vorik/Vorick [VOY "Pon Farr" et al.], Captain Vanik [ENT
>"Breaking the Ice"], scientist Velik [ENT "Strange New World"] and Captain
>Voris [ENT "Impulse"]).

Pffft.  Whoever said ("canonically") that all Vulcan women must have T'P*
names?  Maybe all Western Vulcans do.  Maybe North Vulcans have different
traditions, and name their children whatever they want.

*^#%&$ monolithic Star Trek cultures.

SuStel
Stardate 4554.8