tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 19 08:56:49 2004

Re: canon pIqaD

Raik Lorenz ([email protected])

G' Mornin'. ;)

Before I begin: Sorry for stepping in anybody's toe, should that happen. And
sorry for maybe getting off the topic a little, maybe. And furthermore:
sorry for not typing "KLBC" in up there.

> I think I have read the thesis as well, and the author explains that it
> would mean problems if pIqaD is defined as "canon".
> Not only that the displayed symbols will NEVER match anything(Okuda
> said that they're completely random - so unless he's a Klingon in
> disguise, the letters cannot make sense), it would mean that they
> belonged to Paramount(as owner of the language). And we know what
> Paramount did to Klingon.

Probably it was in a season shown even later than "TKD 2nd ed." was
released, but in at least one episode of either DS9 or TNG (note to self:
review episodes sometime...) there was a scene with Worf hanging out (or
whatever) in a practice room for {betleH} fighting and on the walls of it
there was {pIqaD} writing - and I mean the same one used by the KLI and
klingonska.org - saying(most profanely): "{betleH}". So I think they're not
so random, at least in their usage as advised by Okuda. Maybe he even
engaged in studying "used" Klingon a little... ?

But there are some questions that most certainly were discussed once or the
other time, yet:

What would happen if Paramount went cracking? Would Klingon then be "free" ?

What had to happen, before an obviously living language (except for native
speakers, of course) is released out of the control and arbitrariness of a
multibillion-$-media-company ?

Does {tlhIngan Hol} need native speakers first ?

Is Paramount in the position to determine {tlhIngan Hol} corpus policies as
nations have a right to determine and modify their official language (e.g.
Norway, Indonesia, Germany as just to name some examples, where nations have
ruled the features - some more, some less - of the official tongue) ?

And what happens if someone succeeds raising their child only using Klingon
? Would Paramount then have a copyright on the child's first word ?
("This babble was presented by...")

I'm still not sure what my point is asking those questions but I think they
must be asked sometime.

> Besides, as SuStel(?) said, we shouldn't elevate Okrand to our
> Klingon(language) God, observing and interpreting every move he does.

Dito (if I may say so). Klingon is a living language ({qar'a'?} I'm not good
at such definitions.) though its use is not as widely spread as - say -
Basque, is it?
Anyway, it's more spread and used as either Sindarin or Quenya. Is there a
copyright on them, BTW, that has not expired yet?

And furthermore - what shall we do if MO retires{neS} from offering new
vocabulary ?

> As for pIqaD itself, I think it looks nice, and I use it quite

[...]

> "No canon" doesn't mean that there'll be no agreement, right?
>
> Christoph

I think so, too. And for Klingon as a language AND a group of speakers -
Doesn't language somehow create a common identity (Are common identities a
commodity you can hold a copyright on?) ?

Qapla'[(c) Paramount Pictures ?],
qIno'rIq

Back to archive top level