tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 19 08:07:16 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: waQ (v)

> > Klingon word:   waQ
> > Part of Speech: verb
> > Definition:     obstruct

Quvar:
>DIvI' Hol vIjatlhlaHbe'. mu' <obstruct> <waQ> joq yIQIj.
>chay' mu' <waQ> vIlo'laH?

{waQ} has never been used or discussed by Okrand.  Until we obtain further
data, we should probably assume that it's used similarly to "obstruct" in
English, since that is the gloss Okrand chose.

We also have {bot} "prevent, block, prohibit", used once in TKW:

   Dubotchugh yIpummoH
   If it's in your way, knock it down.

Considering this TKW example and the fact that {bot} also appears in
{botjan} "shields (force field on ship)", it's *possible* that {bot} is
used for more physical or tangible obstructions while {waQ} *may* refer to
other types of obstructions (e.g. bureaucratic, political, malicious,
etc.), making it closer to {nIS} "disrupt, interfere with, hinder".

SuStel:
>>HuvHa'chugh vay', vay'vam waQlu'pu'

OTOH we do have {Huv} "be clear, not obstructed" which sounds pretty
physical.

<sigh>  As is so often the case, we just don't know how {waQ} is properly
used.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons