tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 12 15:00:57 2004

Re: New Words

Quvar wrote:

>Which was the expression for "everywhere"?
>I remember it was something like {tIngvo' 'evDaq}, or {chanvo'...}  ?

Okrand on startrek.klingon (11/21/99):

   There is an idiomatic expression still heard with reasonable
   frequency which makes use of all three cardinal direction terms:
   {tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq}. Literally, this means "from area-south-
   westward to area-northwestward to area eastward", but the idiom
   means "all around, all over, all over the place". It is used in
   the same place in a sentence that the noun {Dat} "everywhere"
   might be used, but it is much more emphatic:
      tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq jIlengpu'.
      I've traveled all over the place.
   A more archaic form of the idiom is {tIngvo' 'evDaq 'evvo' chanDaq}
   (literally, "from area-southwestward to area-northwestward, from
   area-northwestward to area eastward"), but the three-word version
   (without the repetition of {'ev}) has all but totally replaced it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level