tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 11 11:00:29 2004

Re: moHaq nap, moHaq Qatlh ghap

ja' lay'tel SIvten:
>I used 'simple prefix' for no-object, and 'complex prefix' for 'with object'.

qar.  per Dalo'ta'.  'ach lo'lIj meq vIyajchu'be'taH.  chojangbe'pu'mo'
jIghelqa':  chay' moHaqmey Daqelbogh nap law' latlh nap puS?  chay' <ma->
nap law' <Da-> nap puS?  HIchuH.

>I didn't include {yI-} because it's ambiguous.

yIqIm! yIbuS! "Pay attention and concentrate" is not ambiguous.  DaH yIDIl!
"Pay now" is not ambiguous.  There is no object in the sentence.

>The only prefixes that I
>considered were {jI-}, {ma-}, {bI-}, {Su-}, and {pe-}.

You didn't communicate that list of prefixes in your question.  You asked
for examples with a "no-object prefix".  Are you now going to consider
{yI-}?  Based on the "doesn't count" comment below, it looks you're not.

>{moH} (be ugly) without an object is explicitly different from {moH} (exert
>influence on) with an object.  So it doesn't count either.

Your list included {moH}.  You didn't ask about "exert influence on".

If you're looking at English meaning, the {yIbuS} and {yIDIl} examples
should count.  If you're looking at Klingon homonyms, I'd have expected the
list to have words like {chu'} and {pum} as well.

If you gave some clue about *why* you're asking, maybe someone could give
you an answer more to your liking.

wejpuH.  Hol De' Datlhobqa'mo' 'ej qaQeHqa'moH vIneHbe'mo' qajang.  QaHwIj
DalajHa'mo' mu'tlheghvam vIQulta'meH poHwIj DalI'Ha'moH.  Hol De'Hom
Datlhobqa'DI' qajangqangqa' 'e' yIpIHQo'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level