tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 09 04:34:21 2004

Re: Hol Sup 'oH tlhIngan Hol'e'

Yens Wahlgren ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Christoph:

?No one will EVER see a true klingon.?

You are absolutely right. Just because one can speak a fictive alien
languageone will not be an alien.

It was not my intent that the last sentence would be interpreted literally;
it was supposed to be something of a joke or a punch-line (It?s the last
sentence in the thesis). Just imagine the scene when a human schoolteacher
tries to correct the grammar of a big Klingon warrior. It would be both
dangerous and absurd. I used the joke as a kind of metaphor for saying
something like: when (if?) there are native speakers of Klingon it would be
absurd (but I hope not dangerous) to correct their use of the language.
Native speakers can do what ever they like with their language.

Apparently the joke didn?t work and for that I apologise. English is not my
native language, so I'm bound to make mistakes of different kind. Yens
"Butwhen the day comes when someone has Klingon as a native tongue the
language will start to develop in a natural way and Star Trek, Marc Okrand
and the KLI will all lose linguistic power. You can?t tell a real Klingon
how to use her language.''

Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. [1]Get 2 months FREE*.

--- Links ---
   1 http://g.msn.com/8HMAEN/2749??PS=47575

Back to archive top level