tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 08 18:01:20 2004

Re: imperative + -jaj

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh:

>There's an exception to every descriptive rule, particularly those having
>to do with "natural" languages (as Klingon purports to be).  You'll have
>fewer headaches if you mentally insert the words "almost" or "in the vast
>majority of cases" before every instance of "always" or "never" in TKD.

Yeah, that's what I meant. "Never" is an awful long time. {{:)

I'd see {wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran} as an intentional ungrammaticality used for
rhetorical effect; it draws the attention to {DevtaHjaj} and particularly
the suffix {-taH}, and that makes it stand out in the listener's mind: "May
Gowron CONTINUE to lead the Empire!"

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level