tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 07 15:19:28 2004

I/we with {-vIp}

Concerning the type 2 verb suffix {-vIp} used with first person subjects.
In TKD 4.2.2 (p. 37) it says:

  {-vIp} <afraid>
    {choHoHvlp} <you are afraid to kill me> ({HoH} <kill>)
    {nuqIpvIp} <they are afraid to hit us> ({qIp} <hit>)
  This suffix is rarely used with a prefix meaning <I> or <we>.
Though it is grammatically correct, it is culturally taboo.

I wondered if this were true even if the verb were negative.  Sure enough, on
p. 49 there are these examples of subject "we" used with {-vIp}.

    {pIHoHvIpbe'qu'} <we are NOT afraid to kill you>
    {pIHoHvIpqu'be'} <we are not AFRAID to kill you>
    {pIHoHqu'vIpbe'} <we are not afraid to KILL you>

It seems highly unlikely that a culturally taboo sentence would be used to
illustrate an unrelated grammatical point, so apparently the taboo is strictly
against the speaker acknowledging his own fear.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level