tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 07 09:05:00 2004

Re: mu'qaDmey tIQ (was:Re: imperative + -jaj)

Voragh:
> >or even more concise:
> >
> >   wa'SaDlogh bIHeghjaj!
> >   May you die a thousand deaths!
> >   ("May you die 1,000 times!")
> >
> >and might even throw in {batlhHa'} "dishonorably" just for good measure!

quljIb:
>Hmmm... {batlh wa'SaDlogh bIHeghjaj} on the other hand sounds like a grand
>wish.

Endless fighting is a Good Thing in the "Warrior's Anthem" {Qoy qeylIs puqloD}:

   nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'.
   batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq vavpu'ma' DImuv.
   pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'.
   mamevQo'.  maSuvtaH.  ma'ov.

   Our lives burn short and bright,
   Then we die with honor and join our fathers in the Black Fleet where
   we battle forever, battling on through the Eternal fight.

I.e. {pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'} and {maSuvtaH} repeated in the next line.

BTW, interesting use of {-qu'} after {-taH} by Okrand to emphasize the
non-stop nature of the fighting.  He did the same thing in ST5:

   qIrq wItlha'taHqu'.
   "Where Kirk goes, we follow."

--
Voragh