tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 04 05:30:29 2004

Re: imperative + -jaj

From: "Dar'Qang" <[email protected]>

> Is there any sense that is made of using an imperative prefix + -jaj
suffix?

> example:  ?yItaHjaj
>
> TKD doesn't seem to exclude it.

I don't see any meaning that makes sense.

> If it makes any difference, the context in which this usage occurred to me
> was playing around with translating "live long and prosper".  I know from
> the KLI wiki that there are two canon translations, but this a phrase in
> which tlhIngan Hol seems to allow a variety of ways to express the idea
> with differing 'shades'. bItaH 'ej bIchep, bItaHjaj 'ej bIchepjaj, yItaH
> 'ej yIchep, etc., so I decided to play around with it a little.

Of the three you list, the first is simply a statement.  The second is a
wish and the third is a command.  The first doesn't translate the idea well
at all: what if I *don't* survive and prosper?  Your prognostication has no
teeth.

> latlh ngoD wISovchu' maH'e': mejmeH SoQHom jatlhnISlu'meH <<Qapla'>> QaQ
> law' <<"live long and prosper">> QaQ puS.  tlhoS verengan 'oH vulqangan
> mu'tlhegh'e'.

mejlu'DI' not vay' jatlhnISqu'lu'.  noH vIjaHpa' chaq vIja'lu' <Qapla'>.

verengan mu'tlhegh rurbe' vulqangan mu'tlheghvam.  cheplu'meH
mIpqu'nISbe'lu'.

SuStel
Stardate 4507.9

Back to archive top level