tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 30 09:55:49 2004

Re: chay' vuDwIj vIjatlh, 'ej chay' ngoD vIjatlh?

lay'tel SIvten:
> > my question is: how would a klingon then differentiate between stating his
> > opinion and stating a fact?  if the act of his stating it makes it his
> > opinion, how does he state a fact?

By using the Type 6 verb suffixes, especially {-law'} for an opinion and
{-bej} for a fact.  (See below.)

ngabwI':
>I don't know how a Klingon would differentiate between fact and opinion, but
>I personally see nothing wrong with using {'e' vIHar} or {'e' vIQub}. It is
>a shorter way to state something as an opinion, and allows you to be more
>accurate. (Straightforwardness and accuracy, two traits valued by Klingons.)

For some reason, English speakers tend to overlook these suffixes,
preferring the wordier or more analytical translation {X 'oH vuDwIj'e'}, {X
'e' vIHar}, {X 'e' vIQub}, etc.

lay'tel SIvten:
> > perhaps the clearest way is to simply say it is an opinion:
> > {'IH mara' 'e' 'oH vuDwIj(na')'e'}
> > ("my (definite) opinion is that mara is beautiful") [is that right?]

ngabwI':
>I would drop the {'e'}, and simply say {'IH mara. vuDwIj(na') 'oH}

Even simpler is {'IHlaw' mara}.  Okrand writes about {-law'} "it seems (to
be), apparently, seemingly, I think that, I suspect that":

   This suffix expresses any uncertainty on the speaker's part and may
   even be thought of as meaning "I think" or "I suspect".   (TKD 40)

Then again, we can resort to slang:

   Unlike the verb {na'} ("be salty"), which has an identical slang
   meaning (see below), the verb {bej} may be used when there is an
   object: {HIvrup 'e' vIbej} ("I am positive they're ready to attack"

E.g. {'IH mara 'e' vIbej} [slang].

   ... The notions expressed by {bej} can be conveyed without slang
   with a word such as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or by making use of the
   verb suffix {-bej}, as in {HIvrupbej} ("They're certainly ready to
   attack").  (KGT 145)

E.g. {'IHbej mara} [standard].

   These kinds of meanings may be expressed without using slang by
   employing such verbs as {Honbe'} ("not doubt") or {Sovbej} ("know
   for certain").  (KGT 157)

E.g. {'IH mara 'e' vIHonbe'} "I don't doubt that Mara is beautiful" or {'IH
mara 'e' vISovbej} "I know for a fact that Mara is beautiful".

>I have used {'e' vIHar} for my entire time on this list, and have yet to be
>corrected. I think you're on pretty solid ground here. }}: )

Although Okrand has never used it, I see nothing wrong with this and it
fits in with {Honbe'}.  But FYI, our only example of {Har} "believe" is:

   qaHarbe';  bo'Dagh'a' Dalo'
   I don't believe you; you're using a big scoop
   (i.e. "You're exaggerating") KGT

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons