tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 27 00:33:29 2004

RE: KLBC - not to be

Daniel Abraham ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

ngabwI':
> About {jav}: This is the part I'm confused about. {jav} can be the number
> six or a slang term for "prisoner". Do you want to say that you are not a
> prisoner, or that you, yourself, are not the number six? Or that you are
> not merely a number that's been assigned to you?

bIjaj:
SuStel already replied to this, but just to make it clear: that sentence
refers to the TV series "The Prisoner" and its opening dialogue - and all of
the options above are true, sorta. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the noun {jav}
(prisoner) is an Okrandian joke exactly because of this.

ngabwI':
> You lost me again... When translating idioms, try to capture the actual
> meaning in the translation. When translating "plain language", recast it
> a form more easily translated. I you wanted to say "She has too much
> impatience", the worst translation you could arrive at is {boHtaHghach 'Iq
> ghaj.} Recast, and you will probably arrived at "She is overly impatient"
> {tlhoy boH}. Shorter, more to the point, a better translation.
> Is that what you're asking?

bIjaj:
Exactly, thanks.

Back to archive top level