tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 26 21:59:57 2004

Re: taghwI' jIH

ja' Dar'Qang":
>A subtlety:  I would like it to say the equivalent of "I thought that it
>*would be* funny" for the middle sentence of the quoted paragraph.

Klingon grammar has a blind spot when it comes to subjunctive and
hypotheticals.  There are usually ways to rephrase the idea and get around
it, but I've not found an effective way to maintain the same mood.
Interestingly, I never run into the problem when I'm "thinking" in Klingon,
only when I'm translating from English.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level