tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 26 15:42:13 2004

KLBC - to be

Daniel Abraham ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Hiya,

According to TKD one uses pronouns to express the notion of "to be" in a
sentence in the sense of "I am a <noun>". It also says one can use verb
suffixes on the relevant pronoun (e.g. {pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH} ).

But does that apply to all suffixes, if necessary? For example (the noun
{jav} comes to mind...): is there a better translation than {mI' jIHbe'qu'}
to "I am NOT a number!" ?

And generally speaking, what is the preferable practice - using Klingon
verbs that approximate the meaning of such English sentences, or translating
them as literally as possible? (more philosophical than practical, I guess)

Thanks,
bIjaj

Back to archive top level