tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 25 13:44:10 2004

Re: taghwI' jIH

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dar'Qang" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2004 3:23 PM
Subject: Re: taghwI' jIH

> At 07:28 AM 1/24/2004, you wrote:

list.

> Dar'Qang:
> I was intending for the last sentence to say something more like "I
> expected overly fanatical Star Trek Fans" [to be the ones behind the
> Klingon language].

I suggest {tlhoy ngotlhbogh parHa'wI'pu' vIpIH} "I expected fans which were
overly fanatical."

> Dar'Qang:
> A subtlety:  I would like it to say the equivalent of "I thought that it
> *would be* funny" for the middle sentence of the quoted paragraph.

One way I've worked around it is to use {chaq}, along with {'e' vIHar}:
{chaq tlhaQ 'e' vIHar} "I thought perhaps it is funny."
Not perfect, but the modals are tough, with no formulaic translations that I
can think of.

> > ngabwI':
> > I think you
> >might have meant:
> >{tlhIngan Hol vIHaDchoHDI', SIbI' Hov leng vItIvqu'choH.}
> >"When I started to study Klingon, I immediately began to enjoy ST."

> Dar'Qang:
> Yes.  I was trying to indicate "I immediately began to enjoy ST more (than
> before)".  I tried to shoe-horn it in using "-qu'choH", where the change
in
> state would be from enjoy to very enjoy.  I don't grasp how to use the
> Klingon comparative for this (i.e., "now more than before");

I didn't include the emphatic in my translation, but it did come through in
the Klingon.

> Dar'Qang:
> The verb I used was "men", intending "it causes me to smile".

{HIvqa' veqlargh!} I read {mer}. The verb you're looking for is {mon} "to
smile".

> Dar'Qang:
> Another thing I'm not sure about regarding '-meH is whether or not the
> resulting clause can modify a phrase, or if the construction can only be
> used to modify a noun or a verb.

I'm not sure I get your meaning. A {-bogh} phrase, collectively, can replace
a noun, so I don't see anything wrong with a {-meH} phrase "modifying" a
{-bogh} phrase:
{HoHmeH DIngbogh jan} "A spinning machine for killing"
would not be misunderstood. (Was that your question?)

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/