tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 24 07:02:18 2004

RE: DCKL translation problems: {tlhogh}

ja' Voragh:
>> >To divorce Quark in DS9 "House of Quark", Grilka shouted *N'Gos tlhogh
>> >cha!* ("This marriage is dissolved!") at him...
>...If you
>figure that the writer simply looked up the words for "dissolve marriage",
>in that order, then you get {tlhogh ngoS} in proper {ta' Hol}.

'ach jIghelqa'nIS.  qatlh mu' wa'DIch DaQavmoH?

But that just leads me to ask again:  Why do you reverse the word order?  I
don't understand what you're getting at.  The English line has "marriage"
first; as the subject of the sentence, but you seem to want to treat it as
the object instead.

>The English subtitle "This marriage is dissolved" would have to be {ngoSlu'
>tlhoghvam}.

DapHey 'oH mu'tlhegh Dachupbogh.  That makes *no* sense to me.  Is there
something about the word order that you're seeing and I'm not?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level